One of the most difficult but also fun things you can do is to build a dirt bike. This task requires a lot of investment and hard work of days and nights where you only have to focus on building the dirt bike.
In addition to this, the most important thing for you to do before building a dirt bike is to know the total cost of building a dirt bike. The truth is that the total cost varies between the type of dirt bike you want, the quality of the dirt bike, and the way you wish to build the bike.
So, how much does it cost to build dirt bikes? The actual cost of building a dirt bike varies greatly, considering loads of factors. The cost to build an average dirt bike is between $10,000 and $ 20,000 while the cost to build a very professional dirt bike that will deliver high performance like the bikes used in competitions can cost up to crazy prices of over $30,000 and even up to $50,000.
In general, there are many factors that will determine how much money it will cost you to build a dirt bike. If you think of spending a very low price, below the starting price of $10,000, then the chances are you will get an average dirt bike that will not give you very high performance. So, I personally recommend that you have a budget of at least over $10,000 before you think of building a dirt bike. The reason is that you don’t expect to get amazing dirt bikes from very low budgets. So, it is important to take this into account.
There are many other things you need to know about building dirt bikes, so if you are interested in building dirt bikes, this is just the best guide because I will show you all the things you need to know about dirt bike construction and costs.
Here are the topics I will discuss in this guide
|What factors are responsible for the cost of building a dirt bike?|
|Should I build or buy a new dirt bike?|
|Is it worth building a dirt bike? Is it even worth it?|
What factors are responsible for the cost of building a dirt bike?
The cost of building a dirt bike varies greatly, depending on a lot of factors that you simply must know. You will not know these factors until you find yourself coming to the point that you are spending too much money on building a dirt bike – extra cost you didn’t plan for.
Therefore, it is important that you read this guide and know exactly what causes are and also do your calculation to know how much money it will cost you to build a dirt bike.
The factor most responsible for the cost of building a dirt bike is undoubtedly the construction of the dirt bike. It is important to know that there are 2 main ways through which you can build your dirt bike.
The first way (which is the cheapest way) is to build dirt bikes from existing motorcycles such as very old bikes or used dirt bikes or bikes gotten from rubbish yards and anywhere possible. The next thing to do is to buy more parts and equipment to refurbish and improve the dirt bike. Doing this will cost you less amount of money than building a dirt bike from scratch. It can cost you even less than $5000 and you can get excellent performance from the dirt bike but it also depends on what kind of bike you want to build or improve.
The second way (which is more expensive) is to build the dirt bike from scratch. With no motorcycle or old bike to refurbish, it will be more difficult and will involve a complicated construction method which takes more time. Also, you will spend more money. If you don’t have at least over a $10,000 budget, I would not recommend you use this method but the first.
Types of Dirt Bikes
Most people do not understand or even know about the different types of dirt bikes. While there are 5 types of dirt bikes and with varying prices, it is important that you know them so you can decide what type of dirt bike you want to build.
- Motocross Dirt Bikes – They are designed only for people who want to compete in races that include riding on hard surfaces like snow, mud, and in the mountains. Therefore, Motocross bikes are constructed for only professional riders and the truth is, building a Motocross dirt bike will cost at least over $15,000. For very high-level riders, the price can be over $50,000.
- Sand / Desert Dirt Bike – These bikes are primarily designed for sandy areas, dunes, beaches, and any other areas that contain sand. So, dirt bikes of this kind are for sandy terrains. You would have to invest more in building the smooth handling of this type of dirt bike.
- Trail Bikes – These bikes are the average dirt bikes mostly used by amateur riders. They perform quite well but not so amazing as Motocross bikes. Trail Bikes cost an average of between $10,000 and $20,000.
- Endurance Bikes – These dirt bikes are only adapted to racing in very harsh conditions and terrains such as forests, winding mountains, and very long races over a high duration of up to a few hours.
- Street Dirt Bikes – These bikes are better adapted to road riding; therefore, in constructing this bike, you will have to spend more money on installing parts such as mirrors, tires, title, and more.
You need to Identify which dirt bike agent you want and plan your budget according to the type of dirt bike
The size of the engine is a very significant factor that determines the price of dirt bike construction – the bigger the engine size, the more expensive the cost of building a dirt bike.
In general, the optional engines are 50cc, 70cc, 125cc, 250cc, and 450cc. However, apart from the engine, the parts you will need to build the dirt bike are expensive so it is important to take this into account.
The performance level of dirt bikes
And to conclude the last factor that affects the cost of building a dirt bike, you need to ask yourself, “What level of performance do I want from the dirt bike?”
The higher the performance you wish to get from your dirt bike, the more you expect to pay for building the dirt bike. While it is important to know what level of performance you need, you must first identify what type of rider you are.
There are 3 different types of riders: beginner rider, medium rider, and advanced rider. It’s important that you identify what type of rider you are and so the dirt bike will be built according to the level of performance you want.
Should I build or buy a new dirt bike?
The short answer is that building dirt bikes will work for people who have a good budget of at least over $5000 and are ready to build dirt bikes and invest the effort. It doesn’t matter which way you want to build your dirt bike, you also have to put in a lot of effort and in addition, you will also need professionals.
In contrast, buying new dirt bikes would be more advisable for those who don’t have the power or time to build dirt bikes by themselves but not for those who do not want to get components that do not match by their riding skills.
If you want more detail about what to do to build or buy new dirt bikes, click here to view the full guide I wrote
Building dirt bikes (pros and cons)
- You will know every part of your dirt bike
- You choose which components you want
- You design your bike
- You are responsible for the cost of building the dirt bike
- Fun (you like to build dirt bikes)
- You have to spend a lot of time
- The risk of making a mistake in the building structure
- Risk of a work accident
- The risk of regretting and being disappointed
Buying new dirt bikes (pros and cons)
- Assurance that all parts fit and work together
- You start riding immediately
- Chance to test the bike (riding test)
- You have no choice of components
- You have no choice of design
- You have no choice of performance
It is recommended to build a dirt bike? Is it even worth it?
The truth is that building a dirt bike can really be an amazing and fun-filled and worthwhile idea if you love it. However, I personally would recommend you build dirt bikes only if you really want to build dirt bikes and you like it and you are willing to spend the amount of work and time it will take. But it is also important to know that building a dirt bike will take at least a few months.
In addition, it is important to note that there are chances the dirt bike you build will not meet your expectations. So, I will encourage you to request the service of professionals to build your dirt bike.
In short, building a dirt bike is a risk – sometimes, it can be worth it and other times, it doesn’t. As I have said earlier, it depends mainly on your building skills and your budget.
- What parts do you need to build a dirt bike? The parts you need to build dirt bikes are engine, frame, tires, wheels, seat, brakes, and drive mechanism.
- How much does it cost to build a dirt bike track? Construction of a dirt bike track will cost between $6000 and $15,000. Depending on the type of dirt bike track, it can even cost more.
- How much does a factory race dirt bike cost? Very complex dirt bike factories Motocross dirt bikes cost over $80,000. On the other hand, simple dirt bike factories can cost $10,000.
If you have any questions or opinions about this article, please write us a comment and we will get back to you within 24 hours.
Thanks for the reading