Many people want to start riding dirt bikes, but they do not have enough money to buy a new one, and I really understand that. The price of dirt bikes starts at an average of $1000 and can easily cost up to $5000. What makes them very expensive?
If you’re on a tight budget, a used bike is probably the best option for you. Used dirt bikes are sold at a lower price than new ones. For example, a new dirt bike can cost you $5,000 while you can get a used one for $2000.
Today, I’ll show you where you can find a used dirt bike at a good price and what you need to know before you buy a used one.
Need dirt bike safety gear? Click here to buy safety gear for dirt bike riding on amazon or go check my sales pages of recommended safety gear page click here to view.
Where can you buy a used dirt bike?
There are 4 main ways to find options to choose from:
There are many amazing platforms where you can buy a used dirt bike. Of course, you need to do market research and invest time and thought before you choose the best one for you. Now, I’m going to show you all the platforms and ways through which you can find used dirt bikes for sale.
Facebook: There are many used bikes on Facebook at a low price. You can join dirt bike groups on Facebook, so you can get the best deals. There are many great sellers on Facebook.
eBay: I highly recommend buying through eBay. There are lots of used dirt bikes offered for sale on eBay. Also, it is very important to always buy from reliable sellers who have positive comments, I even suggest talking privately with the seller to give you a much more detailed explanation.
Craigslist: Craigslist is the best place to get a good bargain. All you need to do is learn how to use the site, there are excellent guides on YouTube, plus there are filters that will help you pick the right one for you. Craigslist will save you a lot of time. In my opinion, this is the best platform to find used dirt bikes.
CycleTrader: Another great platform and one of my favorites is CycleTrader. The fantastic thing about CycleTrader is that you can find used dirt bikes that are available all over the country or just in your town and filter out the search, which is very helpful in finding the best dirt bikes for you.
#1 Do not buy a dirt bike with a loan: Using a loan to pursue your desire for a bike can be very dangerous. I know the feeling, you find a used bike at a very good price, but you don’t have the money to buy it. The last thing you want to do is take a loan to buy a dirt bike, the loan will drag you into financial debt, so it is always important to check that you have enough money before you start searching.
#2 Do some market research: You have to do your homework and market research to find the best used dirt model at the best price. You need to take time to find a good deal, so don’t be lazy, do some research so you can buy the best dirt bike for you.
#3 Ask for a discount: It is very important not to be afraid to ask for a discount. If you think the dirt bike should cost less, summon some courage and ask for a discount.
#4 The seller is nice and good: It is very important that the seller is nice and professional. This is very important because if at some point you find a defective part in the bike you can go back to the seller and both of you can work something out.
#5 Do some tests: It is not enough to do one test, it is very important to pay attention to all the parts. I highly recommend testing the parts at least 3 times so you can be sure that all parts are in place and working perfectly.
Used Dirt Bike Checklist
- Check for basic defects like broken plastic, torn seat cover, bent bars, worn tires, broken coupler and brake levers, chain, etc.
- Brakes: Make sure that the rear and front brakes look good and function properly. I personally will even advise you to operate the bike and see how the brakes function.
- Check the tires and wheels: It is very important to check that all wheels and tires function properly, because changing wheels and tires cost a lot of money, so always check the tires and wheels several times.
- Wheel health: It is very important to see that the wheels rotate smoothly. Spin the wheels continuously several times, if it gets stuck from time to time, then it means it needs to be replaced or the screws need to be changed.
- Check for unnecessary leaks from the engine oil or the engine coolant. For this check you will have to dismantle the dirt bike and open the engine.
- Check the frame of the dirt bike and look for cracks, fractures, or scratches. It is important to report every scratch or crack. A small crack can develop into a lot of cracks that will cost you a lot of money.
- Air filtration: It is very important to check the condition of the air filter. If the air filter is dirty, ask the seller to clean it before making a purchase.
- Check all internal parts like air filter engine, air coolant, brakes etc. It is very important not to be lazy and check all the internal parts to make sure everything is in good shape.
- Ask for warranty: it is very important to accept responsibility for the dirt bike. In addition, I recommend asking the seller if the bike has been renovated in the past.
So, in conclusion, today I showed you all the things and stages you need to know before making a decision. I personally highly recommend used dirt bikes because there is no big difference between a new and used one.