The most important thing for ATV racers is, of course, a good ATV that can provide power, high maximum speed, fast acceleration, comfort, build and durability. You will want to make sure your ATV has all these qualities.
And to make it easier for you, I have compiled below a list of the best racing ATVs with various leading companies, engine types, and prices.
So, let’s start
|Polaris Scrambler XP 1000 S||$14,999|
|Bombardier DS650 Baja X||$6,899|
|Yamaha Raptor 700R||$8,699 to $10,000|
|Suzuki QuadRacer LT-R450||$7,299|
|Yamaha YFZ450R SE||$9,499 to $9,399|
Need ATV safety gear? Click here to buy safety gear for dirt bike riding on amazon , or go check my sales pages of recommended safety gear page click here to view.
Best 1000 cc ATV for racing
Polaris Scrambler XP 1000 S
So far, we’ve talked about good ATVs with relatively low prices. Now, it’s time to talk about the most powerful and popular ATV, and of course, the first on the list is Polaris Scrambler XP 1000 S that is considered one of the best ATVs ever made and one of the fastest ATV in the world. And the biggest advantage is that it can fit for any usage of your choice, such as jobs in the field, road riding, and of course, racing, where it excels the most.
In fact, the Polaris Scrambler XP 1000 S is designed for very professional riders who want a very powerful ATV and are willing to pay its high super price.
You can buy the Polaris Scrambler XP 1000 S at a crazy price of $14,999 which is definitely a crazy price but worth it, and again, this model is only suitable for very professional riders who compete in advance races at high levels. So, it is not for everyone
Plus, you can always buy it used, the used ones cost between $10,000 to $11,000.
Why is the Scrambler XP 1000 S suitable for racing?
- Powerful Engine – The heart of the Scrambler XP is the powerful 952cc 89 HP 4-Stroke SOHC engine that delivers amazing performance and is usually very fast. Polaris even installed it in a normal mode that limits you to a maximum speed of up to 60 mph for safety, and if you want the fastest maximum speed, you will need to switch to a sport mode where it can reach much higher speeds.
- Quality Tires and Wheels – The Doro Power Grip Polaris Scrambler XP 1000 S tires are super-quality in size. It has a size of 27 x 9-12 that works with 12-inch aluminum wheels that were improved from 14 inches from the previous model to better fit the tires.
- Perfect construction that gives durability on the race- The thing that impressed me the most about the Scrambler XP 1000 S is the high-quality construction it has. The high-quality construction is a durable steel and aluminum frame in which 31 percent stronger in the middle of the ATV means the ATV is much more durable and mostly strong from vulnerability. In the middle of the ATV is consider much more durable, especially considering that most injuries hit the middle part of the ATV when racing, and this makes it the ultimate ATV for racing and off-road riding.
In my opinion, the Polaris Scrambler XP 1000 S is perfect for professional ATV racers who are willing to invest their money and want to get a very powerful ATV. I would not recommend the Polaris for beginners or even medium racers, but only for advanced ones that have experience at least 2 less powerful ATVs because, if not, it could be life-threatening for you to use the Polaris.
Best 700 cc ATVs for racing
Bombardier DS650 Baja X
If you want to save a few hundred bucks and settle for a cheaper ATV that offers a bit less more powerful performance, then the Bombardier DS650 Baja X is perfect for you.
In fact, the Baja X DS650 is not manufactured by a very popular company and does not perform well as the Honda TRX 700xx or the Yamaha, but with this, it is still very powerful and will give you a good enough performance in the race. For me, it is one of the best after the Yamaha and Honda and is perfect for those who want a good ATV that shows good performance at a relatively lower price.
You can buy the Bombardier DS650 Baja X at a price of $6,899 which is relatively cheap considering its competitors, and I’m sure this is a very significant factor for people with a limited budget.
In addition, you can also buy it used because many people will want to sell the DS650 since it was released a long time ago (2004) at an average price of $4,000.
Why is the DS650 Baja X suitable for racing?
- Excellent Speed and Power – The DS650 has an excellent engine that exhibits excellent off-field capabilities. The engine is a Rotax® 4 stroke, Liquid Cooled, 1 cylinder 653 cc that works superbly and can reach a very high maximum speed of between 73 to 80 mph (116 to 128).
- Excels in sandy terrain and roadblocks – The most notable thing about the DS650 is that it is perfectly suited for sandy, dry and rocky terrain while being one of the best for sandy surfaces and easily tackles them.
- Perfect Safety Displays – The DS650 introduces very important safety features such as a very high-quality disc type brake system that in my opinion gives the strongest braking power and also a very excellent transmission system simple to use that offers 5 different speeds.
- The Fastest in Open Spaces – The most noticeable advantage of the DS650 is that it is very powerful and fast in open spaces and I am not saying that it is not good in crowded areas when racing. It also does very well in crowded areas but much more outstanding in open spaces. Upon accelerating, it reaches a crazy maximum speed within a few seconds that even the Honda and the Yamaha can’t do any better than it does.
In my opinion, the DS650 Baja X is the perfect ATV for racing riders who want something different from the Honda or Yamaha, including a relatively cheaper ATV that gives great performance on the ground.
Another Honda model that is very powerful and designed for a race is the TRX700XX. It shows amazing performance, and it is important to note that it is considered to be one of the top 5 fastest ATV in the world which reinforces the fact that it is super powerful and suitable for racing.
In addition, the TRX700XX is probably the biggest opponent of the Yamaha Raptor 700R. I personally see a lot of riders who don’t know which one to buy, so I’ll give you one fact to help you decide which one is for you.
In fact, both models are designed for racing, but the Honda is much better at riding dunes and trails while the Yamaha is much better for hard surfaces like woods and mud, so it all depends on what types of racing you are going to participate in.
You can buy the Honda TRX700XX at a price of $7,899 which is a very relative price considering that the Raptor costs at the difference of a few hundred dollars, so I’m sure this will be a very influential factor in your decision.
Plus, you can always buy it used. When I checked out some of the deals, I found that most prices range from $3,000 to $5,000 which is really super and very cheap.
Why is the Honda TRX700XX suitable for racing?
- Crazy speed and engine power – The TRX700XX has very high maximum speeds and power especially with its powerful 686cc SOHC, 11.4-liter four-stroke engine which allows the TRX700XX to reach a crazy maximum speed of up to 86 mph (137 km) that makes it considered to be one of the top 10 fastest ATVs in the world.
- Two very helpful springs – One of the biggest advantages of the TRX700XX that sets it apart from all its competitors is its shock absorbers that include two super helpful and lightweight dual springs that will help you be very flexible and lightweight when riding.
- Excellent wheels and tires that can handle all types of terrain – The TRX700XX wheels are super high-quality 11-inch aluminum-coated wheels that provide excellent power and durability that work superbly with the radial tires and offer good stability specially designed for non-stability surfaces like mountains or dunes which you will surely come across during the race.
In my opinion, the Honda TRX700XX is one of the best ATVs for races. I will recommend it to those who really want power and speed at a slightly lower price of almost a few hundred dollars than its competitors.
Yamaha Raptor 700R
The Yamaha Raptor 700R is one of the most powerful ATVs in the world and is considered to be among the top 3 ATVs with a 700 cc engine. It holds the highest sales record of ATV and is one of the most loved and successful ATV today.
And the best thing about the Raptor 700R is that Yamaha still continues to upgrade it every year, which gives it the same relevance to the newest models released compared to a lot of other companies that don’t upgrade their old models and end their model up being far less relevant.
You can buy the Yamaha Raptor 700R at a price of $8,699 to $10,000. This is very expensive but it worth the price. You will also find the Raptor almost everywhere; this is as a result of the Yamaha huge investment in marketing the Raptor.
Regarding buying the used Yamaha Raptor 700R, this can certainly be a great idea because I have found most used at prices of between $3,000 and $7,000, so it is definitely worth checking out the deal.
Why is the Raptor 700R suitable for racing?
One of the fastest ATVs in the world – The Raptor 700R is one of the fastest ATVs in the world with the fastest acceleration available; its 686cc engine is liquid-cooled with fan, four-stroke; SOHC, and four valves capable of driving crazy speeds above 77 mph (120 km).
Threatening design that will scare all your competitors – Something I noticed a lot of riders ignore is the design of the ATV and one of the advantages Raptor has is that it is very intimidating and designed in such a way that it scares the rivals of the race. I believe that you will want to buy the most impressive ATV that will make you HYPE to the contestants even before you start the race.
Strong brakes – For those that don’t know, Yamaha has the best and most advanced braking system on the market. They did a perfect job with the Raptor brakes that are Aluminum-piston front disc that provides very powerful and strong braking power which counts as important in racing and even more important for your safety.
A strong frame that can withstand anything – As a racing rider, it’s normal to crash into other ATVs while riding, and because of this, you need to have an ATV with a good frame, and in fact, among the most notable advantages Raptor has is its sub-aluminum frame that protects the ATV’s body perfectly from scratches.
In my opinion, the Yamaha Raptor 700R is definitely one of the best ATVs for racing, and if you are the type that wants a very powerful Yamaha ATV and you are willing to invest in the price, then the Raptor is the perfect choice for you.
Most of Honda’s ATVs are known for beginner riders because Honda has only a few racing models. One of their racing models is the Honda TRX450R which is one of the most powerful and the best ATVs in this world. It comes with 450 cc engines and can easily overtake other ATVs with larger engines than it has.
The most special thing about the Honda TRX450R is that it came out a long time ago around 2005, but with this, it is still considered one of the best ATVs for racing. In terms of the engine range, I haven’t found any ATV better than its engine for that same price.
You can buy the Honda TRX450R for $7,799 but it is important to note that Honda has stopped building another new TRX450R model, so you can only find the 2014 model, and because Honda has stopped making a new model of it, it is very difficult to find them in stores.
On the other hand, there are tons of people who have used TRX450R who would be very happy to sell you one, and I’m sure you will have a very easy time getting a good deal on it at even half of the original price.
Why is the TRX450R suitable for races?
There are tons of reasons why the TRX450R is the perfect ATV for racing, but I will mention only the 3 major reasons:
- Very high maximum speed – The TRX450R has a 449cc engine 4-Stroke, Liquid-Cooled, SOHC, and 4 Valve Cylinder Head engine type, which gives it a very high maximum speed of up to 74 mph (118 km). This is very impressive for a 449 cc engine and not to mention that the Honda also has very high acceleration to help you in racing.
- Excellent durability – The TRX450R shows excellent durability wherever you want to ride and it is mainly because of the high-quality construction that gives it the ability to be stable anywhere possible.
- Very high-quality construction that gives excellent control – Probably, one of the most important things in racing is having control over the ATV. The TRX450R has super quality construction that gives you a lot of stability and control on the ATV while riding. Thanks to a ribbed seat cover that prevents you from sliding off the seat and the amazing XC-Master tires that come with it, and also, the aluminum that gives perfect stability and goes through blocks and turns very easily.
In my opinion, the Honda TRX450R is the best ATV of all 450 cc engines. I am sure it will continue to be one of the top racing ATVs even in many years, and if you are ready to invest the money, it is an excellent choice for you.
In addition, if you want a good Honda ATV, I recommend you also look at the Honda TRX 400 or even the QuadRacer LT-R450 which in my opinion are the only ATVs that are close to what the TRX450R is capable of.
Suzuki QuadRacer LT-R450
The Suzuki QuadRacer LT-R450 is the biggest competitor of Honda TRX450R and is considered one of the most powerful ATVs in the market, especially for 450 cc engines.
In fact, the QuadRacer LT-R450 arrived in the market in 2007 and made a huge change. Since then, the LT-R450 and the TRX450R have become big competitors and I’m sure you will be confused about which ATV to select among the two. But the truth is that I personally cannot tell you because they are very similar in performance, so I recommend you ride on both ATVs to see the one you like better.
You can buy the QuadRacer LT-R450 for $7,299, but if you live in the United States, you will have a very hard time getting it from stores because Suzuki has stopped importing the LT-R450 to the United States, while in the rest of the world, it is easier to get.
In addition, you can always buy it used which is also a great option because there are plenty of people who will be happy to sell it for you. When I checked out the price of some of the LT-R450 used, most are sold for $3,000 which is super lucrative.
Why is the Suzuki LT-R450 suitable for racing?
- A powerful engine that gives freedom – The LT-R450 features a 450cc, 4-stroke, single-cylinder, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve that can achieve a maximum speed of between 70 to 75 mph (about 118 km). The engine is very compact and lightweight while being one of the easiest to have in the market. Also, Suzuki did an excellent job with the muscle because you won’t feel the engine while riding.
- Excellent gear system – The LT-R450 transmission system is very easier to use; it is a manual type that offers 5 different transmission speeds and gives you perfect control of the ATV. It is also very easy to quickly change gears which is important for racing riders.
- Amazing wheels and tires for any area – In my opinion, the biggest advantage of the LT-R450 is that it has very high-quality tires and wheels. Its tires are a classic 18-inch MX Turf Tamer mounted on Trac-Lock rear wheels that fit together with its aggressive and super-sized wheels.
- Very comfortable seat – My favorite thing about the LT-R450 is its super comfortable seat that is covered in ad tech, plus it has a hump that prevents you from slipping and flying which gives you a lot of stability on the ATV and makes you super comfortable.
In my opinion, the Suzuki QuadRacer LT-R450 is one of the best ATVs for races of any choice and can fit anyone who loves Suzuki ATVs and want to get very high reliability and performance.
Yamaha YFZ450R SE
The Yamaha YFZ450R SE is one of the Yamaha’s best-known and beloved ATVs showing great performance on the field. Although it is considered to be a very old model, it still manages to remain one of the best ATVs for racing.
In fact, Yamaha still continues to invest in the YFZ450R SE by producing it every year just like the RAPTOR 700R but adding improvements and innovations, and I am personally sure that the YFZ450R will continue to be one of the best ATV sports in the world.
Another thing that is important for you to know is that the SE is actually upgrading the Yamaha. The standard is the YFZ450R while offering some small improvements in the SE from the regular.
You can buy the YFZ450R SE between the price of $9,499 to $9,399. For the 2019 stump, you will have to pay $9,399, and for the new 2020 model, you will have to add another $100.
In addition, you can buy the YFZ450R used in the range of $6,000 to $8,000, and I will recommend getting the last year’s model rather than the ones that came out a long time ago. So, if you buy it used, don’t be surprised if the performance isn’t as good as the one made last year because Yamaha always upgrades the model every year. Thus, if you already decided to buy it used, always ask the seller what year he bought it so that you can know what YFZ450R version he has.
Why is the Yamaha YFZ450R SE suitable for racing?
- Powerful engine that gives excellent speed and agility – The YFZ450R SE has a powerful 449 cc Single-Cylinder 4-Stroke DOHC engine that can reach a maximum speed of 80 mph (128 km) while it is important to note that the SE model is faster at a few individual MPHs than the standard YFZ450R, plus if you want to see the differences between the SE model and the regular model, as well as the speed the YFZ450R can reach, feel free to click here to see the post that talks about the speeds of YFZ450R
- Race-style construction and design – As always, Yamaha shows in the YFZ450R SE incredible design and construction. Its design looks simply wonderful and beautiful, and of course, the weld-free aluminum frame with a lightweight steel frame protects the ATV from vulnerability.
- Strong Brakes – Another thing I really like about the YFZ450R SE is its high-quality super disc brakes that give very high braking speed which will give you a lot of safety, especially in racing.
In my opinion, the Yamaha YFZ450R SE is one of the best models Yamaha has released and is also very much worth buying, especially because Yamaha has invested in the SE model more than any other model, even more than the Raptor 700R. I highly recommend it for anyone who loves Yamaha and is willing to invest money.
Need ATV safety gear? Click here to buy safety gear for dirt bike riding on amazon , or go check my sales pages of recommended safety gear page click here to view.
For any questions, you may have or opinion on the article, feel free to write us a comment, and we will get back to you within 24 hours.
Thanks for reading, until the next post